Unchaahi: against Female Foeticide in India

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Statistics interpreted ...

Statistics don't always make sense to me unless I see a pictorial representation of them. The more I read about female foeticide, more series of numbers I find thrown my way. Sans a few figures that are so horrific that they have to leave an impact on me, I forget everything I'd read after 10 minutes of idle musing. For example, the only figures I remember now is a newspaper reporting 527 girls for 1000 males (0-6 years) in Fatehgarh Sahib region of Punjab (primarily Jatt Sikh populace), and another that listed a ratio of as low as 300:1000 in upper-class Hindu Brahmins in urban regions of Punjab. I keep regurgitating these figures to everyone I have a conversation about the issue in question lately. When I did it fifth time today when conversing with a friend over the phone, I figured it was time to bring my knowledge from the hours I spent in statistics classes and build me some graphs. In this post, I share with you my latest creation ... pictorial representation of data that is derived from Census of India 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991, and 2001.

First of all, a graph representing Decadal Population Growth of India:

Secondly, a graph depicting the decline in the National Sex Ratio in India for the age group of 0-6 years:

Last but not the least (cliche to be excused), my interpretation of the data listed above. A graph of India's Population (positive) growth vs. Sex Ratio (negative) growth:

Looking at the graphs, we certainly don't require an expert statistician to tell us that as the Indian population maintains a healthy growth rate, sex ratio is on a constant decline. My interpretation is confirmed by Mr. Sanjay Kumar when he states:
India's population stood at 1.03 billion on 1 March 2001, having risen 21% between 1991 and 2001. "What did not rise, but rather declined shockingly, was the sex ratio," says the report.
The sex ratio, calculated as number of girls per 1000 boys in the 0-6 age group, declined from 945 girls per 1000 boys in the 1991 census to 927 during the 2001 census.

hmmm.

Related Reading: Indian women cry just to be born

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • hi roop,
    this is really nice..it's easy to talk..or feel about a cause..but is usually difficult to do something about it..
    It's a great begining..and wish you success in the future..

    will pass on the link to people i know..
    regards
    manu (a.k.a Oasis)

    By Blogger gloliter, At February 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

  • Thanks Manu!!! Really.

    By Blogger r r, At February 25, 2008 at 5:10 PM  

  • It's sad but true...Read this: "At the Cradle orphanage in Delhi, five newborn girls are dumped in a “street crib” outside the security gate every week."....it seems the only silver lining to this cloud is adoption of these beautiful girls by NRI families from the US or UK...only if the adoption rules are eased. Read this for more information. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article1627008.ece

    By Blogger VaishaliS, At February 29, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home